US stocks were mixed as the Nasdaq Composite ended trading higher on Tuesday.
The Dow fell 0.87% to 34,003.26 while the NASDAQ rose 0.25% to 11,106.50. The S&P 500 also rose 0.01% to 3,999.18.
Check it out: Global Crypto Market Cap Hits $1 Trillion; Gala, Casper at Top Gainers
leading and lagging areas
Energy shares rose 0.3% on Tuesday. Meanwhile, in Top Gainers region Include Highpeak Energy, Inc. HPKup 9%, and Vertex Energy, Inc. VTNRup 8%.
Shares of Communications Services declined 1.3% in Tuesday’s trading.
Morgan Stanley M / s Fourth quarter results were better than expected.
Morgan Stanley posted quarterly earnings of $1.31 per share, topping market estimates of $1.19 per share. The bank’s quarterly sales came in at $12.75 billion, as against estimates of $12.64 billion.
equity trading up
- Calext, Inc. CLXT Shares soared 99% to $0.37 after the company and Sibus announced a definitive merger agreement.
- shares of Neovasc Inc. NVCN rose 28% to $27.62 after Shockwave Medical announced the acquisition of the company.
- BIT Mining Limited BTCM Shares also soared 58% to $4.86 after the company announced the launch of a new energy-efficient Litecoin/Dogecoin miner, LD3.
equity trading down
- adesa biotech, inc. EDSA Shares fell 37% to $1.60 after the company reported topline Phase 2B results for its dermatology drug.
- shares of Angion Biomedica Corp. ANGN fell 28% to $0.7329 after the company and Elisio Therapeutics entered into a definitive merger agreement.
- Vivek Medical, Inc. Vive was down, falling 71% to $0.2541, after the company announced it would seek strategic alternatives and was delisted from the Nasdaq. The company also announced that its treatment for female stress urinary incontinence did not meet a primary endpoint.
See also: Top 5 Industrial Stocks That Could Jump
In commodity news, oil was trading up 0.5% at $80.24, while gold was down 0.4% at $1,914.50.
Silver was trading down 0.9% on Tuesday at $24.145 while copper rose 0.2% to $4.2245.
European shares closed mostly with gains today. The eurozone’s STOXX 600 rose 0.40%, London’s FTSE 100 fell 0.12% while Spain’s IBEX 35 index rose 0.22%. The German DAX climbed 0.35%, the French CAC 40 climbed 0.48% and Italy’s FTSE MIB index climbed 0.31%.
The ZEW indicator of economic sentiment for Germany climbed 40.2 points from a month earlier to read +16.9 in January, while the country’s annual inflation rate eased to 8.6% in December. Annual consumer price inflation in Italy dropped to 11.6% in December.
The UK unemployment rate was unchanged at 3.7% in the three months to November, while average weekly earnings, including bonuses, rose 6.4% year-on-year to GBP 629.
asia pacific market
Asian markets closed mixed on Tuesday, with Hong Kong’s Hang Seng index falling 0.78% and China’s Shanghai Composite index falling 0.10%. Japan’s Nikkei 225 rose 1.23%.
China’s retail trade fell 1.8% year-on-year in December, while the country’s economy grew 2.9% year-on-year in the fourth quarter. China’s industrial production grew 1.3% year-on-year in December.
The NY Empire State Manufacturing Index fell to -32.9 in January, recording the weakest reading since May 2020, compared to -11.2 in December.
Now read this: Investor optimism improves further after US stocks gain weekly
The US has the highest number of coronavirus cases and deaths in the world, recording a total of 103,583,980 cases with 1,125,550 deaths. India has confirmed a total of at least 44,681,880 cases and 530,720 deaths, while France has reported over 39,453,000 COVID-19 cases with 163,460 deaths. Overall, there were at least 671,760,100 cases of COVID-19 worldwide with more than 6,732,640 deaths.